Skip to main content

Waiting

'Tis the season to wait. People wait. Some are good at it. Some are not. I am not. Is it a skill? Are there any strategies that can be taught to acquire how to wait?  I don't know but what I do know is what I do when I wait. 


I do the laundry in my home. Living in the city we do not have a washer/dryer in our apartment so I take our clothes to a laundromat. While I sit and wait for the clothes I write my blog, finish teacher evaluations, or prepare lessons for my religious education class. I write. 




Traveling in the city can be stressful especially this time of year. The hustle and bustle of everday life is amplified with holiday shopping. The cars, buses, and trucks congest streets and main thouroughfares; it can get very hectic. You could sit in traffic for a long time. This kind of waiting drives me nuts. If I don't have my wife or a friend to talk to I play uplifting music or begin making phone calls. Waiting in traffic. Ugh! 



So, why not take the subway? Yes! The NYC subway system is one of the best in the world. Here again, waiting for a train during this season can be a great challenge too. Again, uplifting or reflective music helps me. I also write as I wait for the train. Or, I pick up and read the news. 


There's something that can fill up my time: the news. And when I read it its filled with reality star news, scandals, election stuff, and gun violence. GUN VIOLENCE. Here is another anomaly of our society that is mixed with politics, emotions, points of view, facts and opinions. Despite all the hortific attacks and senseless deaths of people (who remembers Sandy Hook Elementary and Columbine and ... and ... and ... ) It just keeps going and going. We are all waiting, again and again, for this change to come and for an end to all this violence. We have to wait?  We have to wait! 

I can't make sense if it sometimes. There have been times in my life that I've tried to skip the waiting by fast forwarding my day via binge drinking, eating and dulling the senses. I've acted like a maniac on the road and run red lights to avoid being in traffic. I've avoided chores until they either stink up my home or hit my wallet with heavy fines and late fees. 


Even when I have been stricken ill I have had to wait. Recently, I had severe abdominal pains so I decided to go to my local hospital. Knowing that it renovated its ER for adults I decided to give it a shot. BIG MISTAKE. Not only did they have me waiting over two hours, but people were strewn on gurneys, chairs and what not all over the place. It looked like a field hospital. It wasn't scary or crazy. It was pornographic!  Yes! Outrageous that people in this zip code had to be treated so poorly for medical attention. After two hours, my wife found me keeled over a chair throwing up.  I faced a wall next to medical supplies  and was told to sit and wait. Great!  What do you do to wait when you are sick?  Leave and go to another emergency room!  I fled that hospital like the plague. Turns out I crossed the Hudson River into New Jersey six miles from my home and got immediate attention. They diagnosed me with appendicitis. I could have died waiting. That's a new one to add to the list!

My only solace and comfort during this time of year THIS year has been my morning prayers. I don't know if its sleep apnea or an incipient disease (male menopause?) but I get up almost every morning at 4:00 a.m. Being the spiritual person that I am I tend to look at this as a time to catch up on my prayers. And this has been a real gift this season. 

Not only are my relationships, personal and profesional, improved and healthier, but I am loving myself more. I give myself credit for what I have accomplsihed, am doing and plan to do. I am reminding myself to listen more, be patient with others, and listen. I am also writing during this time of prayer and reflection. 


Waiting during this season can be hectic, stressfull and produce lots of anxiety. Yet, I have recieved a beautiful gift that has made me rejoice in many ways. Despite the challenges of daily life as a husband, father, educator, and catechist (religious education teacher), God has shown me in these very challenges how to wait and that after the waiting the best is His gift of love. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...