Skip to main content

Three Things

Spring is here but it these days still feel like winter. The change of weather brings a
great opportunity to reflect and find news ways to act. When the day is cold, windy and sometimes full of rain and snow, it can serve as a metaphor for my internal spiritual state. 




There are times when I feel cold and still as an icicle, hanging aloft a tall tree branch. I want to be out of reach and out of the way of all the hustle and bustle, all the action that life brings - family, friends, work, wishes, dreams, and disappointments. 

Yet, even though I may feel like I am hanging still way up on high on a tree, I am reminded that this is temporary. The Church season of Lent reminds and invites me to prepare and remember. I am called to prepare for an encounter with Jesus and walk with Him. I am called to remember what happened to Jesus and enter into that Paschal mystery as best as I can. 

During this time of preparation, I may feel unsettled or uncertain. Doubts can increase as things go the way I do not plan. Frustration grows when challenges come my way like waves crashing upon a seashore. Yet, there are signs in my life that I can look to for assistance. 



One: don’t downplay that you were chosen.  There are many opportunities to help: smile, hold a door open, or simply listen.  And these are the simple ones.

Two: Remember your role. As a husband, father, vice principal, and catechist, I wear many hats that grants me titles.  These titles hold more responsibilities that I want sometimes but am grateful for every one of them.  I know I am not alone and am needed.  At the same time, I need those people in my life.  What brings me peace is that in each of these roles I serve a calling, a vocation to love and serve.  

Three: Don’t be discouraged when you are mocked. When you walk this journey of faith, people will make fun, innuendos, and outright challenge you.  My first reaction is to argue, be sarcastic and even hurtful.  Yet, I am humbled by the cross and reminded how Jesus fulfilled his role.  Silence is a powerful choice.



While Springtime may not be in full swing, there are many signs of life all around. It will be here soon with much sun, flowers in full bloom, and green grass. Like the weather, my Lenten practice is not complete.  Holy Week provides hope that even though many challenges lie ahead, the call to "new life" in Christ is coming and I am invited.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...