Sunday, April 10, 2022

Three Things

Spring is here but it these days still feel like winter. The change of weather brings a
great opportunity to reflect and find news ways to act. When the day is cold, windy and sometimes full of rain and snow, it can serve as a metaphor for my internal spiritual state. 




There are times when I feel cold and still as an icicle, hanging aloft a tall tree branch. I want to be out of reach and out of the way of all the hustle and bustle, all the action that life brings - family, friends, work, wishes, dreams, and disappointments. 

Yet, even though I may feel like I am hanging still way up on high on a tree, I am reminded that this is temporary. The Church season of Lent reminds and invites me to prepare and remember. I am called to prepare for an encounter with Jesus and walk with Him. I am called to remember what happened to Jesus and enter into that Paschal mystery as best as I can. 

During this time of preparation, I may feel unsettled or uncertain. Doubts can increase as things go the way I do not plan. Frustration grows when challenges come my way like waves crashing upon a seashore. Yet, there are signs in my life that I can look to for assistance. 



One: don’t downplay that you were chosen.  There are many opportunities to help: smile, hold a door open, or simply listen.  And these are the simple ones.

Two: Remember your role. As a husband, father, vice principal, and catechist, I wear many hats that grants me titles.  These titles hold more responsibilities that I want sometimes but am grateful for every one of them.  I know I am not alone and am needed.  At the same time, I need those people in my life.  What brings me peace is that in each of these roles I serve a calling, a vocation to love and serve.  

Three: Don’t be discouraged when you are mocked. When you walk this journey of faith, people will make fun, innuendos, and outright challenge you.  My first reaction is to argue, be sarcastic and even hurtful.  Yet, I am humbled by the cross and reminded how Jesus fulfilled his role.  Silence is a powerful choice.



While Springtime may not be in full swing, there are many signs of life all around. It will be here soon with much sun, flowers in full bloom, and green grass. Like the weather, my Lenten practice is not complete.  Holy Week provides hope that even though many challenges lie ahead, the call to "new life" in Christ is coming and I am invited.



No comments:

Post a Comment