Skip to main content

MOVEMENT


Life is movement.

From the moment of conception, we are moving, growing, evolving. 

In September of 1999, as I stepped into the hallways of Dwight Morrow High School, I moved and was moved (a lot, and to every school except Quarles School! LOL!)



I am eternally grateful for all these movements of heart, mind, body, and soul I experienced at the Englewood Public School District and Englewood Community. These experiences shaped me and allowed me to share my talents, ideas, culture, and passion with so many. 

They include: 

The DMHS Social Studies Department (above)
Liz Willaum
Debbie Zarate
Rosie Rodriguez
Malva White
Monica Sanchez (RIP)
Maria Klose
Harriet Hooks
Maria Satterfield
German Cardona
Dr. Richard Seagall
Rosemary Seitel
Odette Urbay-Cross
Mercedes Gil
Marsha Howard
Lucia Welch
Ysoris Pazymino
Carroll Sanchez
Dr. Jeff White
Dr. Daniela Small-Bailey (RIP)
Pete Elbert
Dorian Milteer
Lamarr Thomas
Joe Armental
Dr. Laura Mathieu
Basheba Mitchell
ETA
EAA
EPSD Security Team
EPSD Technology Team
EPSD Business Office 
EPSD Human Resources 
Pomptonian
EPSD Maintenance
All the students I taught at DMHS and served
Dr. John Grieco School Faculty and Staff
Dr. Leroy McCloud School Faculty and Staff
Janis E. Dismus Middle School Faculty and Staff
Dwight Morrow High School
Academies@Englewood
Lincoln Elementary School 
JDMS OUTRIDE Bike Program & students
Facing Forward 2023, 2025, 2026
and The DMHS & JDMS Latino Heritage Club students.








After 27 years of serving as a teacher, supervisor, and administrator, I have decided to retire and "move on" to continue my work as an educator and minister in New York City. 


Muchas gracias EPSD for all the great times and the difficult ones. It made me a better educator and man of faith.



Keep moving forward EPSD!



¡Hasta siempre!

Abraham Alarcon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...