Skip to main content

Ready? Set. Go!

I read somewhere on Twitter about a Summer To Do List.  It included many things like relaxing, spending time with family and friends, catching up on reading, and going on vacation.  One item on that list that struck me most was creating a blog.  The first thing that came to mind was, "I AM NOT A WRITER."  After the initial fear and doubt wore off, I came to the realization I was wrong.  All educators are writers!

Yes, all educators are writers.  We may not be published authors, although many are, and many more should be.  Educators like me (I am an elementary Vice Principal) write all the time.  I write memos to teachers, my principal, and to many central office people.  I write reports, agendas, emails, daily and monthly school announcements, and yes, even student behavior incident reports.

To be more specific, I also write important documents like teacher observations and annual performance summaries.  I should also mention that many administrators like me create (write) presentations using PowerPoint and other apps all the time.  One thing I do daily as an administrator is write notes to teachers and leave it in their mailbox or on their desk to avoid interrupting their instruction.  I may also write notes to parents.

Creating a blog has many advantages for educators today:

1. Ideas. Sharing is caring and educators enjoy sharing the ideas they have.  It is our nature.

2. Learning.  Being in the professional "learning business," educators can learn more from one another.

3. Individual and professional growth. Writing will help educators improve their craft and the profession overall.

4. Inspiration.  All educators need to be inspired and no one knows that better than another educator.

5. Stories.  Every educator has a good story to tell and they need to be documented.  Wisdom must not be kept to oneself.

So, here I am launching myself into this new world of learning and sharing.  If it wasn't for that other educator who wrote a summer TO DO list, I would not be here on this starting line writing a blog.

READY?

SET.


GO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...