Saturday, November 28, 2015

Ready? Set. Go!

I read somewhere on Twitter about a Summer To Do List.  It included many things like relaxing, spending time with family and friends, catching up on reading, and going on vacation.  One item on that list that struck me most was creating a blog.  The first thing that came to mind was, "I AM NOT A WRITER."  After the initial fear and doubt wore off, I came to the realization I was wrong.  All educators are writers!

Yes, all educators are writers.  We may not be published authors, although many are, and many more should be.  Educators like me (I am an elementary Vice Principal) write all the time.  I write memos to teachers, my principal, and to many central office people.  I write reports, agendas, emails, daily and monthly school announcements, and yes, even student behavior incident reports.

To be more specific, I also write important documents like teacher observations and annual performance summaries.  I should also mention that many administrators like me create (write) presentations using PowerPoint and other apps all the time.  One thing I do daily as an administrator is write notes to teachers and leave it in their mailbox or on their desk to avoid interrupting their instruction.  I may also write notes to parents.

Creating a blog has many advantages for educators today:

1. Ideas. Sharing is caring and educators enjoy sharing the ideas they have.  It is our nature.

2. Learning.  Being in the professional "learning business," educators can learn more from one another.

3. Individual and professional growth. Writing will help educators improve their craft and the profession overall.

4. Inspiration.  All educators need to be inspired and no one knows that better than another educator.

5. Stories.  Every educator has a good story to tell and they need to be documented.  Wisdom must not be kept to oneself.

So, here I am launching myself into this new world of learning and sharing.  If it wasn't for that other educator who wrote a summer TO DO list, I would not be here on this starting line writing a blog.

READY?

SET.


GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment