Skip to main content

My Holiday Plan




Its a busy time. The holidays evoke in me many feelings of nostalgia, joy, sadness, nervousness among others. Its also flu season and children and adults get sick and they pass it along. As an educator, I need to be wise, keep watch and stick to things that help me stay happy and healthy. 

Here is my holiday plan:

Mangu (Dominican breakfast)

1. Listen to my body. If I am hungry I will eat. If I am tired, I rest. If I am sick, I will take the day off to recover.  If I need to move, I will dance and/or exercise.  I must take care of myself so I can be effective everyday. 






2. Watch what I watch. Along with "fake" news and silly distractions on social media, I need to be wise to monitor where and how I spend my time. With so many demands, I can't participate in every chat or click on every app and connect. I will make the time when I can but I watch what I watch. I am better because of it. 



Looking up from my school.


3. Stay there. If someone or something inspires me to create or make something better, I will stay there. "Staying there" means doing that one thing to make me better before I move on. Too many times I race to do and then rush to tell everyone what I did. I've discovered that I miss the benefits of enjoying what I did if I rush. I have to stay there.  



Paper cups



4. Look for opportunities to just be. A student in my school was carried out of his classroom by security and brought to my office. He was upset. I distracted him and invited him to share what he had in his hands. He had paper cups. I asked him to show me how to make paper cups. We spent the entire afternoon talking and I learned something new. I entered "his" world and learned. Students have lots of knowledge and skills. Sometimes schools force lectures, books and classwork on kids and they respond by acting up. Sometimes they protest in many ways. Other times they protest and need to be carried out like this boy. I took this opportunity to listen and just be with this boy. I didn't judge him.  I am better for it and now he sees me as an ally to share and create things with. 



Candy Cane House 



5. Take notice. There are lots of great things that happen in my school (I bet in yours too). Despite the negativity and criticism out there, every school has great teachers doing their jobs to help students learn. I take notice of these positive incidents and learnings in my school on a daily basis in three ways:

1. I walk my school everyday.  I want to know what is happening so I walk into every classroom at least once a day. Everyday.

2. I talk with students and teachers and take pictures of these moments.  
3. Then, I write about it (not as often as I wish).  I don't publish a lot but I do tweet via my twiitter account or my school Grieco School. 

Finally, I met with a teacher earlier in December to discuss her formal observation. As we finished, she shared how she got together with teachers from her grade during lunch to discuss specific needs and goals they had. My interest peaked and was almost jealous I wasn't invited. I told her to write about how that meeting was initiated.  She told me it grew out of an email between her and another member of the grade level. I pushed her to write about it because it was a moment of importance for that teacher and team.  I took note to listen for this moment and compelled one teacher to take note also.  

The holidays are a great time to stop and reflect on what we do and how we do it.  Our lives, family, and schools will be better when we do so.

How do you keep happy and healthy during the holidays while staying focused on your work?  

Share your comments!  I am interested in learning from you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...