Skip to main content

Going Deep



When I was a kid I, remember summer vacations at Wildwood, NJ. Just the name of the beach town made it seem adventurous. The boardwalk and delicious goodies also made the time “down the Jersey shore” a memorable one. 

I didn't know how to swim back in the mid 70’s. I was too little and afraid of the waves. One thing my big brother Dave taught me was to hold my nose and crouch down so the waves would not knock me down. It was soooo much fun and nerve-racking. But, I was only able to walk into the water waist high. 



It was a lot of fun going underneath the waves and then jumping out of the water. I could feel the force and power of the waves as it swept my long hair. Sometimes I didn’t crouch low enough and the waves would tumble me over.  Still, I would jump up  to catch my breath. But then a new wave would come. After a while of the same, I would tire and have to get out. 

My brother didn't share in the ducking-underneath-the-waves activities.  He always swam out far and deep. He'd dive straight into the waves and swim way out away from us. 

Thinking of the beach and waves reminds me how deep we go as educators. 

How much do we really experience our school? Our students? Our colleagues? Our parents? And the surrounding community?  Going deep is the only way. 

I see my school as going to the beach. My office is where I lay down my beach towel and things. As soon as I step out of the main office (comfort zone), my feet are in the water. 



If I want to avoid the waves and crouch down, I walk around the building, say hello from outside the classrooms, and show my face during lunchtime or in the playground. I may even “pop in” a meeting or two, sit and ask one question to seem interested. This is playing it safe and being compliant. 

If I want to emulate my brother and dive right into the waves and into the ocean, deep and far, I would:

-bring a change of clothes and play with my students during recess

-serve as a substitute while a teacher has a parent or school meeting 

- monitor a table during lunch time 

- plan a lesson and teach it

-listen to children when they speak, especially when they are in trouble or troubled by someone or something

- walk into every classroom at least once a day, everyday 

-make “good calls” home 

- check in with my struggling students (academic, behavior, etc.) everyday

-call the state foster parent agency on behalf of a student so s/he can receive much needed therapy

- answer phones for the secretary and cover her duty when she goes to lunch

-attend a parent teacher organization meeting

-ask tough questions of myself and my staff (what can we do better? What are we not doing? How can we improve?)

- serve as a bus assistant and do the route without expecting anything in return

- clean up a spill in the hallway or bathroom instead of calling the janitor

- write a letter for a parent/guardian so they can avoid being deported

-smile more

I can go on and on and on. 

Our family vacations at Wildwood were truly memorable and will always be engraved in my heart and mind.  I still remember the infamous waffle and ice cream sandwiches. It was my favorite treat after a long day at the shore. 



If I want to make my school memorable for my students and staff (myself included), I know I have to go deep and not stay in my comfort zone.  

Yes, I know going to the beach should be relaxing and not everyone goes to the beach to do the same things.  But then again, not everyone is called to be an educator and this “calling” involves taking risks and “going deep.” 

Go deep.  

You might surprise yourself what you find beyond the crashing waves.

How do you “go deep” as an educator?

What risks do you take?  

What have you discovered about yourself and those you serve?

What things might prevent you from “going deep?”

Looking forward to learning and growing with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Real Confession

In the mid 90's I was younger, slimmer and had more hair on my head. I was in grad school,  working and living on my own. Like any single young man, I had my share of relationships and encounters. My family was always supportive and I had lots of close friends. I thought life was good.  Yet, with so much going for me I was often upset, angry and frustrated with my life. Instead of addressing it in a responsible manner, I acted out. This involved self medication via binge drinking, overeating, casual sex, and lying. Whenever any one of my relationships questioned my behaviors, I chalked it up to me being immature. I used that excuse so much that I perfected it. I got away with so much. I knew I was immature but soon realized I was selfish and manipulative. It was a crazy cycle of deceit and games.  One day, I woke up after a long and uneventful Saturday night of partying and I heard a voice tell me, "Go to church."  Some people might call this exper...

Biking and Blogging

I love to bike. Living in NYC I know of great parks, bridges, restaurants, and other sites to see and experience. I visit a lot of these places while I bike because I can move alone, fast and spend as much or as little time as I wish at anyone place. My experience of biking is similar to blogging .  At first, I would travel downtown via Riverside Drive, and up and down the West Side.  Later, I challenged myself to bike over the Brooklyn Bridge and into parts of Brooklyn and Queens I never knew.  On any Spring weekend, these spots can be daunting and rather hectic. On weekends, Central Park can be quite tricky maneuvering through the runners, bikers and tourists. Blogging can be daunting and intimidating too. At first I thought, who is going to read what I have to say? Who cares enough to read my words and thoughts?  With all the news and websites and blogs out there, why would anyone stop by my page and take notice?  And i...

Advent 2025

 Advent 2025 I've been uncomfortable for a while now. A month ago, one of my 8th grade student's father was rounded up my ICE. He was walking to work on a Saturday morning and got picked up. By Tuesday, he was deported to his home country. My student does not want to come back to school. Her mother now has to figure out how to keep her family going. I can't imagine the challenges they face. How will their lives be without their father? How will they move on? Last week one of my 7th grade student shared with me how she has problems at home; she gets yelled at and hit by her mother. As she spoke to me, I remembered when my parents yelled, fought, and hit each other. It brought back difficult memories of pain, confusion, and lots of selfishness. I just sat there and listened as my student cried. After, I had a counselor speak to her and we got her outside help My son Jacob told me about his friend who's parents are separated and getting a divorce,  He shared how his frien...