Saturday, January 27, 2018

Books and Chairs





“Mr. Alarcon, can you come to the security desk and cover me? Security was called to the music room.” 

I heard this message over the radio and a sharp feeling came over me.

Now, I really had to do a lot of work but I stopped what I was doing and went to the security station in my school and told the security guard, “I’ll go.”

Before I reached the classroom, I dropped off a student who was sent to my office for a “break” and then headed to the music room. I guessed correctly who it was because no more than 30 minutes earlier I was called into that student’s classroom. Apparently, this boy was having a rough day. 

When I entered the music room, books were on the floor and two chairs overturned. Thank Goodness no one was hurt. The boy was underneath the teacher’s desk. The music teacher and the rest of the class sat silently as they observed me interact with their classmate. 

“Hi!”

No answer. 

“How are you?” 

No answer again. 

“Please come out from under the desk. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

No response. 

“I don’t want to hold you again.  You don’t want me to do that, do you?”

Yep. This was not the first time I had been called to speak to him.  And ... yes ... I had removed him from class several times.

This time he listened and came out from under the teacher's desk.  

Then I complimented him for listening to me and told him he had to pick up the books and chairs. 

“Come, I will help you with the books,” I said instantly.



As he started putting the books away I looked at the books again.  I saw them differently.  I saw him differently.  Then, this feeling of purpose sunk inside me as if I was weighted down. I felt God. I guess I found him in that moment. 

I was supposed to “be in it” with that student. I was supposed to help him put the books away and pick up the chair. I was supposed to spend time with him in his anxiety and stress; not add to it. Nor judge him for it. 

Educators face many challenges today and one of them involves students with special needs. There are many classifications and conditions but one of the most perplexing ones include high functioning students who are easily distracted and defiant. Finding the right setting, supports and staff is critical for their success. 

My interventions are not always as enlightening or purposeful but this time it took me deeper. I felt called to take a picture of the books and reflect upon what I do when called to “be” with a student in a challenging situation:

What do I say?

What do I do?

How much patience do I offer?

How much patience should I offer?

What can I do to help? 

Am I supposed to have all the answers?

I don’t know how the student will do this year.  He is capable and bright.  Clearly, he is experiencing some challenges. My other concern is how his classmates are seeing things. How do they feel?  I know many are supportive because they are friendly towards him and treat him well.  Yet, they are patient and understanding with his struggles.  

My final concern is about the adults.  How do we stay positive when children are experiencing real challenges in a school setting?  How do we promote peace, stability, consistency and high expectations with so much aggression and physical outbursts?  I have so many questions, probably more than answers.  Still, I hope like a little kid that there will be some sort of magic toy or candy that will make all those challenges go away.

Or, perhaps I am just too soft and kind.  My heart is big and accepting.  I entered education to serve others, not impart my will upon them or show others how much I know.  So, if I display sensitivity and kindness to children who face serious challenges it’s probably because I may be one of the few people whom they know that is kind and accepting of them.

Education is all about relationships. Picking up the books and chairs on this day was just one more thing I did with this student. I am grateful for being granted a deeper awareness and purpose. That’s part of the calling: being with students no matter how positive or challenging the situation may be. 

How do you spend time with your students?

How much do you offer?

What insights do you have about challenging student situations?

Looking forward to growing and sharing with you!

#GoingDeep






No comments:

Post a Comment