Saturday, September 8, 2018

New School Year: Stick to the The B.A.S.I.C.s



At the beginning of a school year one can seem a bit tangled up and confused. New students, new schedules or even a new school can make one feel undone and uncertain. 

Yet, my years in education have shown me how to meet these “tangled” situations head on and just keep it BASIC. 


B - Believe in myself and in others. 

I cannot do it ALL. Teaching and learning is never a “me, myself and I” project and I need to rely on others. When I work with others I am always better.  Asking for help when you do not know something is a smart move. One might hesitate to ask for help to avoid the appearance of being seen as weak or vulnerable.  There is a sincere strength in showing vulnerability. 

A - Accept that I am not perfect and will make mistakes.

School business involves different levels of risk. Trial and error are always my favorite teachers. Knowing that I will make mistakes makes me feel less anxious. I give myself permission to not be perfect. There is a deep freedom in that acceptance. 

S - Serve others no matter what. 

If I see that someone needs something, I stop what I am doing and help. Putting people first over my own work brings many benefits. It communicates that they matter more and that I am here to serve. 

I - Include others in the decision-making process. 

When confronted with a task like scheduling, daily school operations or supervision of children and staff, it is wise to listen and consult others. Those who know more or have been around will provide valuable information and input. 

C - Communicate consistently with everyone. 

Nothing communicates professionalism better than clear and consistent communication. Even critics or “cranks” (they are everywhere in every industry) appreciate constant communication. 

The beginning of the school year can be quite hectic for students, parents and educators. Sticking to the BASICs can help remind all of us why we do what we do. 

How do you handle mixed feelings or "tangled" situations at the beginning of a school year?

What are some of your strategies?

Please feel free to share. 


No comments:

Post a Comment