Sunday, January 22, 2017

Captain John Gray


My first year at Rutgers University I tried many courses and things. One experience I will never forget was a no credit course I took with the Army ROTC.  I cut my hair, wore fatigues, learned about military science and organization and participated in a field training exercise located at Ft. Dix, NJ.  Here is where I had my first lesson on leadership thanks to Captain John Gray, the ROTC instructor.


After a long day of rope bridges, shooting the M16, hiking with 40 pounds of gear, eating MREs, our group of 50 students was very tired and wet.  As we entered the mess hall, I saw Captain Gray standing at the front of the line.  He greeted us with a warm smile and a plate. Captain Gray stood there patiently and waited for all of us to grab our food before he got served.

I was hungry and was one of the first ones to eat.  I wasn't waiting for anyone.  As I went for seconds, Captain Gray was still standing in the same place handing out plates.  How could he wait so long? Wasn't he hungry?  I had to find out so I sat next to him.

I thanked Captain Gray for allowing me to come to Ft. Dix.  Then, I asked him why did he wait to eat.  Captain Gray responded that his soldiers always eat before he does.  Silence overwhelmed me. Then, I felt bad for being impulsive and selfish.  Captain Gray's words struck my mind and heart at the same time. My belly was full that day but I had an empty sense of service and leadership.

I just Googled the word leadership and 556,000,000 million results appeared.  When #EdublogsClub asked us to share about leadership, the first result that came to my mind was Captain John Gray.  His priority to put people first, model through example, and serve others will always remain with me.

I aspire everyday to serve my students, teachers and parents in a similar way that Captain Gray served us that day.


Thank you Captain Gray for giving me my first lesson on leadership.

Do you have a person in your life like Captain John Gray?  If so, I'd like to know about him or her.  Feel free to share.





1 comment:

  1. This was a great story of leadership. It was also a pleasure to read --- stories are such a great way to make a point. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete